Monday, November 15, 2010

Blog 10: Fish Out of Water


The event that I attended was a regular Sunday service at a Christian Science church. As I am quite passionately anti-religious and have not attended church for many years, I was certainly a fish out of water at this event. Arriving at the church about 15 minutes before the service was due to begin, I took the opportunity to introduce myself and talk to some of the more senior members of the church. There was certainly an apprehension on my part about disclosing that I was not a follower of their faith, however, I was greeted favorably. The woman who was handing out the service programs handed me some more information pamphlets about the religion, their particular church, and details of upcoming events. While she was very pleasant and welcoming, there was also a definite sense, as expected, that she was trying to convert me into become a regular visitor to the church. 

As the service began I took my seat off to the side of the altar as the pleasant organ music began. When the music died down a middle-aged man with a beard came forward to the altar and began reading from the Bible. The twenty or so members of the congregation, who were sat in rows of simple metallic chairs, watched the man intently as he read. I did the same and tried to garner what the message was from the particular section of text being read. However, my interest waned as the reading went on and my attention starting switching more and more to my surroundings. The service was situated in a small but aesthetically sound room that was dominated by the altar at front and center to which all the chairs and indeed eyes in the room were focused. To the right of the altar was a large organ, which provided the musical interlude between the readings and sermons throughout the hour-long service.

The second reading of the service came from the text entitled “Science and Health,” which I discovered beforehand was the other text, in addition to the Bible, that was used by practitioners of Christian Science. This reading dealt with the idea of healing through prayer, a central tenant of this particular branch of Christianity. After another reading had been and gone, a woman, who appeared to be in her early 50s, came forward and, after the organ played her in, began to sing. As soon as the organ music started this time everyone in the congregation rose to their feet in the knowledge of the song that was to follow. I followed suit and stood on listening to this woman, with a most enchanting voice, sing for about three minutes. I struggled, largely in vein, to understand the significance of the hymn, and my appreciation of it was almost solely from a musical stand-point.

After a final prayer was uttered, the organ closed out the service as it had begun. I bade my farewells to the individuals I had spoken to before the service; telling them that I had enjoyed it and would consider returning in the future. Although, I had in no way changed my views about the overall merits of religion in general, I was warmed by the attitudes of those I encountered at the church. Taking away their religious beliefs, the people there were extremely welcoming and created a real feel-good aura. While it is unlikely that I will return to the church in the future, I feel that I have a greater understanding of what people get of attending these events. Aside from the aspect of faith, there is a definite comfort and sense of belonging to be found, which I am sure is very attractive to many people, especially in times of distress.

No comments:

Post a Comment